News and Announcements
Richmond Kigoos Tsunami Group Coach Job Posting
Please find attached the 2022/23 Tsunami Group Coach Job Posting. The Posting will remain open until positions are filled!
We welcome applicants
See you at the pool!
Provincial Qualifier Important Information
This postl contains important information for our families attending Provincial Championships in Kamloops this weekend.
We have attached a file summarizing our individual and relay qualifiers with events listed (including wild card spots). This list also contains our clubs Provincial Alternates. Please check to see if you are a Provincial alternate for an event. We have also included our Kigoos Provincial Relays (including alternates) for your information.
T-shirts for Provincial Qualifiers have been distributed at the pool. Provincial Caps should be distributed at the pool starting today. If your swimmer has not received their Regional gear, please reach out to your coach.
Regional Practices – Wednesday, August 17th
Please see the attached schedule for Regional Practices taking place at Crescent Beach Pool (located at the end of Blackie Spit). Please note – morning practices at Steveston Pool are CANCELLED on Wednesday.
Optional Morning Practice – Thursday, August 18th @ Steveston Pool 6:45-8:00am. Come join Coach Mike if you would like to get in the pool before you travel up to Kamloops!
Regional Practices – Thursday, August 18th @ Canada Games Pool Kamloops
Please see the attached schedule for the Regional Practice up in Kamloops.
Please see the attached schedule for Provincial warm-ups on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
Kigoos have been assigned 4 timing shifts on Saturday to cover as part of our Regional Responsibilities. 1 person is required for prelims in the Jr pool, and 3 people are required for Saturday Finals (50/100 Fly, 50/100 Back, Free Relays). Please sign up to help if you are able here
(Viewing is limited at Canada Games Pool so it is the best seat in the house!)
Our region has been assigned electronics as our Regional responsibility. We have a few trained people from other clubs in place, but are in search of more help. If you are confident with computers and are interested in learning meet electronics in the moment please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Tenting for provincials will be outside, and at this time, there is no indoor space available. We have been told meet organizers will be monitoring heat and air quality. We have been told that tenting space will be assigned by Region, and will not be big. Please be prepared to share your space with others from our club and from our region as space will be limited. Thanks for your support with this.
We wish all our swimmers competing this weekend the best of luck, and safe travels to all our families making their way up to Kamloops. We are looking forward to providing updates throughout the weekend.
We win as 1!
The Kigoos Coaches and Board of Directors
Document links: check Kigoos email for:
Regional Practice Schedule.pdf
Richmond Kigoos 2022 Provincial Team.docx
Richmond Kigoos Swim Club Provincial Relay Cards48.docx
Week at A Glance July 26th
What a week! From the biathlon, to the Grouse Grind, to all the practices in between, our swimmers and coaches have been training hard. As a result of all this hard work, we had another great weekend at the North Delta meet, with lots of Kigoos making finals. The days started early (Hello 5:45am warm-ups), and ran long, so apologies for the week-at-a-glance a day late.
We are less than 2 weeks away from our Regional Championships, and it’s hard to believe that we are quickly nearing the end of the Summer 2022 season. Our swimmers have been working so hard in the pool, that we have arranged a special event to round out the end of the hard training weeks. Canadian Olympic open water swimmer Hau-Li Fan will be coming to Steveston Pool on Friday, July 29th to run an endurance clinic with our swimmers. Sessions will be running as follows:
SR Swimmers – 12:45-2:30pm
INT Swimmers – 2:15-4pm
JR Swimmers – 3:45-5:20pm (JD’s are welcome to attend the JR session)
Please see the attached information page about Hau-Li and the Endurance Clinics. Thank you to Coach Mike for organizing this exciting opportunity for our swimmers.
This is the last week of our July schedule. Our August schedule is attached, and will start on Tuesday, August 2nd. There will be no practices on Monday, August 1st due to the Civic Holiday. Practices will run for all swimmers until Friday, August 5th. After regionals, practices will be only for our provincial qualifiers, starting on Tuesday, August 9th.
Kigoos Pasta Dinner
All swimmers are invited to enjoy our Kigoos Traditional Pre-Regionals Pasta Dinner after their group practice on August 4th. More information will be sent out next week.
Kigoos Regional Pancake Breakfast
Traditionally, our club has hosted a fundraising pancake breakfast on the Saturday and Sunday morning of Regionals for our families. Our club has been given a number of Regional meet responsibilities this year, and our club executive will be unable to put on this event without help. We are looking for volunteers to take on the organization of this event, perhaps someone who has run it or organized it in the past. Please send an email to email@example.com if you are interested in helping out.
Save the Date – Kigoos Wrap-up Party – Wednesday, August 10th – More information to come!
Surrey Sea Lions Meet – July 30th and 31st – Information about warm-ups, tenting, etc, will be sent out later this week.
Have a wonderful week! See you at the pool!
The Kigoos Board of Directors
The Week At A Glance July 17
It has been another great weekend at the pool! We had a large group of swimmers attend the WRASA meet, and our club came away with many best times, finals swims, and podium finishes! Congratulations to all of our swimmers for a great meet! If you have any “Podium Pics” please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org so we can add them to our social media posts. Thank you also to our many parents who volunteered for timing and official shifts. We are proud to say that the announcer never needed to call for Kigoos timers to report to their lanes!
We have another busy week ahead of us, with more detailed emails to be sent out, so this is just a highlight of the important dates/reminders for this week:
1. Surrey Sea Lions Meet sign-up closes Monday, July 18th. Please sign-up here:
2. Regionals Sign-up – Please make sure to sign up for Regionals (Aug 5/6/7) by Wednesday, July 20th. There are very strict deadlines associated with Regionals, so NO late sign-ups will be accepted. Please use the link here:
3. Biathlon – Our first ever Kigoos Biathlon (run/swim) will be held on Tuesday, July 19th from 6:30-9am. Our JR’s and JD’s will kick things off at 6:45am. Please see information sheet attached to this email and use the link here to sign-up. This event will take place in lieu of regularly scheduled practices.
4. Grouse Grind – Our traditional Kigoos trek up Grouse Mountain will be held on Thursday, July 21st. Swimmers are to meet at the bottom at 10:40am, for an 11am start. All JD and Junior swimmers should be accompanied up the mountain by a parent/guardian. Parent volunteers will be waiting at the top of the mountain to greet swimmers and record times. Please see information sheet attached to this email, and use the link here to sign-up: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeI5IeLdfG0k1T3h63uWh0C4GcDBf-yQ5vvCAa4zo_YOvtJGA/viewform
5. Crescent Beach Development Meet – Wednesday, July 20th. Warm-ups will start at 12pm, with the meet starting at 1pm. There will be opportunities to sign-up to help with timing and stroke & turn.
6. North Delta Swim Meet – July 23/24 – Watch for a Sign-up Genius early this week with timing shifts. Just a reminder that this meet has heats and finals, so please sign up for finals timing shifts if your swimmer will likely be in finals. More information about tenting/concession/warm-ups will be sent out later this week.
See you at the pool!
The Kigoos Board of Directors
Week at a Glance July 10th
It was a small group who made their way out to Chilliwack this past Saturday for the Chilliwack Invitational, but they were mighty! We had many Kigoos make finals, including some of our coaches! Thanks to the families who attended the meet, and thanks to the coaches for supporting out swimmers.
We are only 25 days away from Regional Championships! The training in the pool is going to start to intensify in what is affectionately known as “Hell Week” (or “Hell Weeks” for our Intermediate and Senior Swimmers!). The goal of this training period it to get our swimmers ready to swim their best at the Regional Championships. Swimmers are encouraged to attend as many practices as possible, to maximize training.
As Regionals are fast approaching, swimmers must sign-up for the meet by Wednesday, July 20th. Regional entries are due well in advance of the meet, so please make sure to sign up by the deadline. We are hoping to have as many Kigoos representing the club as possible! Use the link here:
Here are some important upcoming dates and reminders:
1. Hell Week Training Dates (as described above)
Here are the dates each group is running their intense training sessions:
JD – “Fun Week” will be July 18-22
JR Red – July 11-15
JR White – July 11-22
INT Red – July 11-29
INT White – TBC
SR – Already started! Will continue till the end of the month!
As part of the fun of these intense training weeks, the coaches will be holding two special events, The Biathlon (Tuesday, July 19 @ 6:45 am), and The Grouse Grind (Thursday, July 21st) – More information and sign-ups will be sent out soon, but for now, save the date!
2. Kigoos Development Meet – Wednesday, July 13th. Steveston Pool will be bustling with swimmers for our development meet starting at 4pm. We are encouraging all swimmers to come to the pool in their Kigoos gear, and cheer on our youngest swimmers. The concession will be set up with a great dinner selection and there will be a silent auction table and lollipop pull. If that isn’t exciting enough, there will be cotton candy and shaved ice! Thank you to all those families who have volunteered to help make our meet a success. To save emails in your inbox, please find attached the heat sheets for the meet. They will NOT be sold at the meet, so print your own copy, or save to your phone.
Please note – Regular practices will be cancelled that afternoon
3. North Delta Meet Sign-up closes tomorrow, July 11th. Please use the link here to sign up
4. WRASA Races Meet – July 16 and 17 – More information about warm-up times will be sent out later this week. Watch for a Sign-up Genius to come out early in the week for timing shift sign-ups. This meet has heats and finals, and coaches would like to remind all families to check in with the coaches before leaving the meet for the day. A friendly reminder – swim meets can’t run without the help of parent volunteers covering timing and officials shifts. We ask all families of swimmers who will likely make finals to sign-up for the shifts later in the day, giving parents of our development swimmers the chance to sign-up for shifts earlier in the day. Thanks in advance for your consideration and help with this!
Looking forward to a busy, but fun week at the pool!
The Kigoos Board of Directors